Tuesday 7 May 2013

Whats in A Name?

I won't bore you all and quote Shakespere but doesnt he say something about you are who you are regardless of what you are named??? I am not sure whether I agree or disagree, because the battle to name a child you have not met is completely overwhelming. We know (or strongly suspect) we are having a boy (or a very unfortunate-genetically-confused girl) so that is a positive start right? WRONG... there has been nothing more challenging then naming a boy, our standards are one hundred fold what we held to naming a girl;

1. Must be masculine
2. Although it is acceptable to name a girl a unisex name, it is completely unacceptable (for us) to name a boy with one. (Marley)
3. Must have two or more syllables
4. Must consist of a long version and a short version (CHRIStoper)
5. Must not be too common (Aiden)
6. Must not be too uncommon (Maverick)
7. Obviously it must flow with his middle (Andrew) and last name (Povey)
8. Must not hold him to a "label' (Wilder was a contender until we realized we could be setting ourselves up for a very rough and exhausting 18 or so years)

I am sure there is more to that list but in the confusion of searching for the perfect name, I have forgotten my own criteria.  Regardless, we have marched on through the endless google searches, baby-names books, and basically any form of inspiration we can find (including reading the endless list of film credits at the end of movies). Searching family history in case we find a sentimental namesake somewhere along the line, and spelling names backwards and sideways to see what else we can come up with. Naming a child is certainly no joke!

Well... we found it, much rather,

I found it
ran it by hubby
he approved, however did not state his absolute 'I've fallen-in-love commitment' to it
sat on it for a few weeks
I shared with a few members of my baby group (people I hardly know) just to test it out
hubby FINALLY came around to the idea of commiting to it
then BAM!!! It was hijacked by a completely ignorant, unimportant member of my baby group, one of the select few I so intimately shared it with (just to test the waters).

Not sure if you have been warned in your lifetime, but no one messes with a pregnant chick!! This includes hijacking their baby name, even if you think you hardly know the person. Seriously, at least ask if its ok! Anyway... I had a two-day complete emotional MELTDOWN... complete with insomnia, feelings of betrayal, and guilt for ruining my unborn childs life (since his name was stolen), hyperventilating, and complete and utter heartbreak.

I should have known, since so many people in this world refuse to share their potential names for this exact reason. Why should I be immune? Perhaps I figured this person resected me enough to 'friend' me on facebook, so she wouldnt dare do such a thing as this? Regardless.. it happened, I hurt, I healed and we are moving forward.

We plan to keep 'this' name... though we refuse to commit until this little boy shows his face and he gets a percentage of the say, but for now, this is it, our search is over! And as for the hijacker... she knows what she has done, and has to live with that. A simple 'Do you mind?' would have sufficed (and yes I am aware I don't actually OWN the name) but a little respect does go a long way!!!

So for all of you that are dying to know....

it's...


 RAMPAGE
(did you really think I would share after all that????)

Much love to you all... especially my lovelies that threw my a surprise shower on Sunday (details to follow in my next post) and completely cheered me up!!!

XOXO Lesleigh



No comments:

Post a Comment