Friday 24 January 2014

Instructional: Reusable Wipe Solution


I follow many mommy forums and often see questions being raised about making your own wipes. What do you use? recipes? To warm or not to warm? etc. So I thought I would post it all here... one easy reference to get you from start to finish (well.. your on your own when its laundry day, sorry folks).

If you cloth diaper I highly recommend making your own reusable wipes, its just easier, everything goes in the same place (no more picking dehydrated disposable wipes out of your dryer). If you do not cloth diaper, this recipe can easily be applied to paper towel wipes too.

To begin, its about picking the right materials. We begin with our earths most versatile natural resource, water, then an oil base to loosen up any sticky messes, a soap base to break the resistance between oil and water, antibacterial/fungal source, and scent if desired. Of course you will need your supply of wipes. In my case I have some WAHM flannelette (pajama material). Fleece is a great no-sew option, and many people just cut up the hundreds of receiving blankets we all get as gifts. 7X7 is the perfect size to fit into the prince lionheart wipes warmer.
Be careful not to select any perishable items in your mixture, I made that mistake in my first recipe when it called for steeped camomile tea, it resulted in a pressure build-up and a stray bottle exploding all over my nursery. I also did away with the spray bottle after that experience.


So here is what I have selected as my go-to must have household supplies

1. 1 tbsp Coconut oil
-the most versatile, and has many healing natures, excellent source for bum rashes
-almond oil, and olive oil were also recommended in my recipe

2. 2 tbsp Dr. Bronners Castile soap
-comes in many scents (including unscented)
-found in health food stores

3. 2.5 cups Water
-distilled can be used if preferred

4. 4 drops Tea tree oil
- Too much can not be used as this can be damaging to sensitive skin, just a few drops is enough and is easily diluted in the rest of our mixture.

5. 6 drops Essential oil of your choice
- I personally do not use any other essential oil to my mixture because I chose the scented Castile soaps. I suspected too much essential oil in my mixture was the reason I got a funky smell to my diapers this winter. Remember, your wipes get washed with your diapers so you want to make sure the ingredients are cloth diaper friendly.

Lets Begin...

 First thing is first, if your using a wipe warmer it is incredibly important to soak your freshening pad. The heat dries out the atmosphere within the warmer, and will draw the fluid out of your wipes. This freshening pad serves as a buffer, you will find it semi-dry by the time you need to make a new batch of wipes.
 

Replace your freshener in your warmer at the bottom (wipes will sit on top of it). Excuse the condition of mine, it is stained with dye from my wipes.


 As I said above wipes cut at 7X7 is the perfect size for the wipes warmer. I fold mine in half when they come out of the dryer. wet them while folded... just saves that one step when I am making the wipes.


 Choose a large Bowl, add your 2.5 cups of water. I like to start with a warm-hot water, so my wipes are warm and ready to go right away. The heat is also great for softening the coconut oil.


 Next add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, I melt mine in the microwave (20 seconds)


Then 2 Tbsp Dr. Bronners Castile soap


Now your 4 drops of tea tree oil, and your 6 drops of other essential oil of choice (lavender, mandarin, lemon are all nice scents for the solution)


Submerge each wipe (1 at a time)


Wring it out so its not sopping but nicely wet for washing those dirty bottoms


lay your folded cloth flat


roll it up


so it looks like this


Place it at one end of your warmer You want to make sure you have a small space between each side of you warmer in order for the heat to travel throughout the whole warmer.


continue to repeat process with each wipe, lining them in a row


Complete first row...


then lay the second row, using one less wipe then you laid in the first row


Each new row should get shorter (less wipes) as we go, creating a pyramid effect


this allows for the heat to travel evenly to all the wipes stored in your warmer


if desired pour the remainder of your solution over the stacked wipes

You have now successfully created approximately half a weeks supply of wipes. I prefer this method after trying the lay flat and stack method because the heat reaches all my wipes evenly. The lay flat method resulted in my top 8 or so wipes remaining cold.

If there is any part of the process I left out feel free to comment or leave questions and I will definitely try to address them.

Much Love,

Lesleigh


2 comments:

  1. Where did you find these neat dark colors of baby wipes? Great job/pictures on the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered mine from "Lover of Life" on Etsy here is the link to the shop https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/163158812/reusable-cloth-wipes-petite-pack-of-20?ref=shop_home_active_46

      Delete